Hungry now? Who wants pizza?
- 12 corn tortillas, small (or flour tortillas)*
- cooking oil (butter or margarine)
- 1 can refried beans (16 ounce)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 ounces fresh or canned green chili peppers (diced)
- 3 tablespoons red taco sauce
- 3 cups vegetables, such as broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, and/or red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 cup cheese, shredded, part-skim mozzarella**
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped, fresh, optional)
- Brush one side of each of two tortillas with water. Press the wet sides of the tortillas together to form a thick crust for the pizza.
- Brush the outside of the tortillas with a small amount of oil or margarine. Evenly brown both sides in a heated frying pan.
- Repeat with the rest of the tortillas. Set aside.
- Heat refried beans, onion, and half of the chili peppers together in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture on each tortilla pizza.
- Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon taco sauce. Then, top with 1/2 cup of the chopped vegetables, 1 teaspoon chili peppers, and 1 Tablespoon cheese for each pizza.
- Return to frying pan, and heat until cheese melts. Top with cilantro,if desired. Serve immediately.
This recipe contains wheat and milk.
*If you are eating wheat- or gluten-free, you can use corn tortillas or other gluten-free options.
**If you are allergic to milk-based cheese, try soy-based cheese or other dairy-free alternatives.
Cut Down on Choking:
For kids 2-4 years old, serve food in the following way:
- Cut pizza into finger foods that your child can handle.
- Cut vegetables into 1/4-inch pieces or smaller.