Satisfy a burger craving with salmon burgers by Healthy Recipe Challenge Runner-Up, John Truitt.
- 1, 15-ounce can of salmon*
- 1/2 large onion (or 1 small onion), diced or cut into very small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Corn Flakes**
- 1 and ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil (vegetable, canola, or olive oil)
- 1 can of green beans
- 4 small, fresh yams
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Open the canned salmon, and drain off the liquid into a bowl.
- Pick out any bones you might see.
- Save 1-2 tablespoons of the liquid.
- Cut onion into small pieces.
- Mix together the onion, egg and salmon in a large bowl.
- Crush Corn Flakes, and stir into salmon mixture.*
- Add two tablespoons of salmon juice and baking powder to the salmon mixture. Mix well.
- Form mixture into 4 patties.
- Use a tablespoon of oil to grease a baking sheet, and place the 4 patties on it. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the bottom of the patty turns golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the salmon cakes are cooking; open, drain, and rinse the can of green beans. Pat them dry with a towel.
- Use 1 tablespoon of cooking oil to grease another baking sheet or skillet. Put the beans into it.
- Bake them in the oven with the salmon for 15-20 minutes in the 375 degree oven. The green beans should brown just a bit.
- While the rest of the food is baking, scrub your potato to remove any dirt. Pierce each one with a fork multiple times.
- Arrange potatoes in a circle. Microwave on high for 8-13 minutes.
- Use a fork to turn potatoes halfway through cooking time.
- Wait a couple minutes after the potatoes are done cooking before handling the hot potatoes.
- Check to see if your fork can slide into the center of the potato like butter. Then, cut them in half, and flavor with salt.
*Try canned chicken or tuna in this recipe instead of the salmon.
**Rice Checks, Wheat Bran, whole wheat Os, and other cereals with little flavor could replace Corn Flakes.
This recipe contains fish.
- If you are allergic to canned fish, try canned chicken instead.
Cut Down on Choking:
For kids 2- 4 years old, serve food in the following ways:
- Cut salmon cakes and green beans into bite-sized, 1/2 inch portions.
- Peel, and add milk or water to the the sweet potato. That way, kids can eat it as a puree.