These pancakes taste so sweet, no syrup needed!
- 1 1/3 cup pancake & waffle mix*
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon maple or table syrup
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes (or winter squash or pumpkin puree, baked or canned)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-2 tablespoons cooking (vegetable, olive or canola oil)
- ¼ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- ¼ cup raisins (optional)
- Combine pancake mix, cinnamon, maple syrup, brown sugar, sweet potatoes, water, chopped nuts (optional) and raisins (optional). Stir just until large lumps disappear. Over-stirring will cause tough pancakes.
- Pour slightly less than 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a preheated, lightly greased pan, skillet, or electric griddle at 350°F-375°F or over medium heat.
- When pancakes bubble around edges and towards center, flip it.
- Pancake is done when bottoms are golden brown.
- Serve with applesauce, syrup, or a bit of powdered sugar.
- Various ways to cook your sweet potato follow:
- Microwave: Wash your sweet potato, then pierce it all over with a fork. Place a damp towel in the microwave. You can put it on top of a plate. Place the potato on top of the damp towel. Microwave on high for about 4 minutes; pause and feel the firmness of your potato. Continue microwaving on high in 1-minute intervals until the potato is soft enough to mash. Remove skin and mash with a masher or large fork.
- Bake: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Wash your sweet potato, then pierce it all over with a fork. Wrap the sweet potato in aluminum foil. Place in the oven right on the rack. Bake about 40 to 60 minutes, until it’s soft enough to mash. Remove skin and mash with a masher or large fork.
- Boil: Wash your sweet potato. Peel it. Then, cut the potatoes into equal-sized chunks. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, and add the sweet potato chunks. Boil until fork-tender for about 15 minutes. Strain the potatoes, and mash with a masher or large fork.
- You know your pancake pan is hot enough when you sprinkle a splash of water on the surface and it bubbles.
2 pancakes provide:
- 192 Calories, 0.7 g. Fat, 0.1 g. Saturated Fat, 668 mg. Sodium, 52 g. Carbohydrates, 0.8 g. Fiber, and 6.3 g. Protein
Cut Down on Choking:
For kids 2- 4 years old, serve food in the following ways:
- Cut all pancakes into half-inch pieces.