Smooth and creamy with a kick of spice!
- Recipe Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder for every clove you choose to use.)
- 1/4 cup low-fat, plain yogurt*
- ½ tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil (vegetable, olive or canola oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 15-ounce can of white, red, garbanzo or black beans; drained and rinsed (or 1.75 cups cooked beans)
- pita chips, crackers, carrots or other vegetables for dipping
- Place the beans in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat them for about 30 seconds.
- Mash the beans with a fork until it is all the same consistency.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir.
- If the dip is too thick, slowly add water, a tablespoon at a time, until it is the consistency you want.
- Serve at room temperature with pita chips, crackers, carrots or other vegetables.
This recipe contains milk.
*If you are allergic to milk-based yogurt; try soy, almond, or coconut-based yogurt; or try 1/4 cup peanut, almond, or cashew butter or allergy-friendly soy, pumpkin, and sunflower seed butter.
Cut Down on Choking:
For kids 2-4 years old, serve food in the following way:
- Spread a very thin layer of dip in dish over chips or any other dish that you are serving.
- Thin bean dip with water; chicken, beef or vegetable broth; or try adding extra yogurt.