Try this for an easy, healthy, hearty way to start your day!
- 2/3 cups of milk (or 2/3 cups of reconstituted non-fat dry milk)*
- pinch of salt
- 3 and 1/3 cups of water
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2-3 tablespoons of maple syrup ( 2-3 tablespoons of table syrup)
- 2 tablespoons of walnuts, nuts or seeds**
Stove Top Directions
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk (or reconstituted non-fat dry milk), salt, and water. Heat on the stovetop over medium heat until steaming hot but not boiling.
- Add oats, and turn the burner to medium or medium-low.
- Simmer (make sure you see small bubbles,) for 3 and 1/2 – 4 minutes until the oatmeal is creamy. There should still be a little liquid. It will thicken up once the banana is added.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the mashed bananas and syrup. Divide between four bowls, garnish with nuts or seeds, and serve.
- Mix milk (or reconstituted non-fat dry milk), salt, water, and oats together in a large, microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave in high for 3 minutes. With cooking mits or a cloth, remove bowl from microwave and stir. The bowl will be hot.
- Place bowl back into microwave for another three minutes or until oatmeal is creamy. There should be a little liquid remaining. The oatmeal will thicken up once the bananas are added.
- Stir in mashed bananas and syrup.
- Divide between four bowls, garnish with nuts or seeds, and serve.
- Instead of 2/3 cup milk or reconstituted non-fat dry milk, you can use 2/3 cup water in its place.
This recipe contains milk and tree nuts.
*If you are allergic to milk; try soy, almond, rice, or other dairy-free alternatives. You can also use water in place of milk, reconstituted dry milk, or allergy-friendly milk.
**If you are allergic to walnuts, choose allergy-friendly pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
Cut Down on Choking:
For kids 2- 4 years old, serve food in the following ways:
- Chop nuts and seeds finely or grind before adding to your recipe.