An easy to make dinner the whole family will love!
- 1/3 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1/2 pound ground beef (or 1/2 pound ground turkey or 8 ounces of canned beef, drained and fat removed.)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (or tomato juice)
- 1 small to medium cabbage head, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup or about 1/8th of the block of USDA block cheese, cubed or sliced*
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- In a large pot, brown fresh ground beef or warm canned beef with onion and garlic. Drain fat.
- While beef is cooking, wash your hands and any surfaces that have come in contact with raw meat.
- Add water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and cabbage to the pot.
- Cover with a lid. Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes. Stir half way through. Cook until cabbage is soft but still has a little crunch when you bite into it.
- Add rice. Cook 5 minutes longer without the lid.
- Add cubes of cheese and let melt, about 1 minute.
- Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (optional).
- “Minced” means to cut or grind into very small pieces.
- White rice can be used instead of brown rice. However, the brown rice is recommended for added nutrients.
This recipe contains milk.
*If you are allergic to milk-based cheese, try soy-based cheese or other dairy free alternatives.
Cut Down on Choking:
For kids 2-4 years old, serve food in the following ways:
- Puree, blend or mash all ingredients in this recipe. Firm, smooth, or slippery foods like onions, cabbage, and rice kernels are choking hazards.