Make lunch a party with a whole wheat pita, sprinkled with cheese and fresh vegetables!
- 1 pita, whole wheat (cut around the sides, into flats)*
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, unsalted
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese, part-skim**
- 2 or more of the following vegetables sliced into half-inch pieces: green & red peppers, sliced mushrooms, chopped broccoli, chopped red onion or chopped spinach
- Place one pita round on plate.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce on pizza.
- Sprinkle various chopped vegetable over sauce.
- Layer two slices of cheese on top of sauce.
- Cover with the other half of pita round.
- Microwave 35-45 seconds or until cheese melts.
- Slice in half, let cool, and enjoy!
- Layering the cheese over the raw vegetables will help them cook; the melting cheese steams the vegetables in the microwave. If you prefer softer vegetables, they can be steamed before being put on the pizza.
- A tomato sauce with added flavors will add a nice kick to this pizza; also, mild salsa will add a different flavor.
- Many sliced cheeses come in low-fat varieties and could be substituted for mozzarella. Or, you could mix and match varieties.
This recipe contains wheat and milk.
*If you are allergic to gluten or wheat, choose a gluten-free, pita alternative. Or, layer pizza toppings onto a corn tortilla.
**If you are allergic to milk-based cheese, try soy-based cheese or other dairy-free alternatives.
Cut Down on Choking:
For kids 2- 4 years old, serve food in the following ways:
- Cut pizza pocket into finger foods that your child can handle.