Health Promotion Council’s Healthy Pantry Toolkit
About the toolkit:
The Healthy Pantry Toolkit has been created for Pennsylvania residents with limited resources. It’s popular in food banks, food pantries, health clinics affiliated with food pantries, and Community Action Agencies. It’s used in the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – Education (SNAP-Ed), and many other programs.
By getting to know how a pantry works; understanding how to empower pantry staff toward healthy, positive changes; providing consistent nutrition messaging; and giving out nourishing foods – you can assist food pantry clients in choosing better-for-you options. All this in accordance to people’s cultural backgrounds, health needs and taste preferences!
The toolkit features:
- Cultural fluency concepts
- Recommendations for nutrition educators
- Foods to Encourage
- MyPlate messaging and food groups
- Nutrition concepts to apply in the pantry
- Food safety tips
- Food demo best practices in a pantries
- Health resources for the food-insecure